First dates gone awry
Hey there! This post was written in 2008, so it may contain information that is no longer accurate or thoughts that no longer reflect how I feel. As human beings, we're constantly learning and bettering ourselves through experiences and interactions with the world and each other.
I keep posts like this around for historical purposes and to prevent link rot, so please keep this in mind as you're reading.
There's been a lot of speculation about the quality of single, college-aged girls in the Melbourne area. My hypothesis is simple: most of the good ones go out of town for college while the "less than desirables" stick around, making the dating scene a rough, contaminated quagmire for guys like me. To qualify my deduction, here are some real quotes from first-dates I've been on:
- "My ex-boyfriend drives a truck, too!"
- "Do you want to see my tattoo?"
- "I hate answering phones all day [at work]."
- "You can make a lot of money being a massage therapist."
- "That's my mom calling." x 5
- "We were pretty drunk that night."
- " I'm trying to find a daddy for [my two year-old]."
(I really wish I were making these up)
As a result, here are some thoughts that often occur during my first-dates:
- "If she says Wal-mart one more time…"
- "Just tell her you're not feeling good."
- "I'm closing that goddamn MySpace account when I get home."
- "She looks confused. Quick, talk about Wal-mart again!"
- "What the hell is she wearing"
- "Is it rude to get up and leave right now?"
This is, without a doubt, the most depressing thing about living on the Space Coast, and I encourage any girl in Brevard County to prove me wrong about this. Please.