Hey there! This post was written in 2006, so it may contain information that is no longer accurate or thoughts that no longer reflect how I feel. As human beings, we're constantly learning and bettering ourselves through experiences and interactions with the world and each other.
I keep posts like this around for historical purposes and to prevent link rot, so please keep this in mind as you're reading.
This is my formal explanation as to why I now have a MySpace account, even though I already have MY SPACE right here at laviska.com (and plenty of it). The truth being, I fell victim to peer pressure and was finally convinced to sign up last night. I created an account, made a few changes to the theme (because plain is just boring), and started searching for some people I know.
Within minutes I found a number of people I currently know and some that I've known since kindergarten. The idea of finding one of my very first friends after 15 years of no contact has started to change my view of MySpace as a service. On the other hand, I still have rather mixed feelings about random people I don't know trying to become my friend.
So, here's what I currently like about MySpace:
- Easy to find people you haven't seen in a long time
- Easy to send messages and communicate with people
- Email notifications so you're not forced to login and check it everyday
And, of course, what I don't like:
- Creepy people you don't know trying to be your friend
- Difficult to customize (you have to hack it or find an external tool to do it for you)
- Advertisements all over My Space
- Errors everytime I try to update my profile
So, there you have it. I'm keeping an open mind and being honest about everything. We'll see how it goes…